Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

99 C70 has "cranks- no start" condition. Prior to that "Limp

Customer Question

99 C70 has "cranks- no start" condition. Prior to that "Limp Mode". Good fuel delivery, good spark, good compression- no start-up. Remove spark plug on #1 cylinder and engine wants to run. Help!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for using our service!

I'm a little confused by your statement since all gasoline-burning ICEs will fire when there is fuel, spark and compression present at the same time. Can you answer the following questions so I have an idea of how to best help you?:

1. What is the fuel pressure in psi while the engine is cranking?
  2. Can you share how you checked injector pulse and spark?
  3. What was the compression reading in psi for each cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't remember the exact reading in psi of fuel pressure at the fuel rail. I think it was 120-140(?) psi. Checked injectors with probe that lights when injector fires. Grounded spark plug to engine block to check for good spark. Compression was approx. 160 on each cylinder.

I'm sorry, but based on the data you provide there's no logical explanation for why that engine won't fire other than there is no fuel and the 120 psi reading you're getting is just air being compressed by the fuel pump. My suggestion at this time would be to spray starting fluid in the throttle and see if it fires. If it doesn't, then I would recheck the vitals again.

Best Regards.