Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I have a 2006 XC90 that the key will only turn to the 1

Customer Question

Hi Edward
I have a 2006 XC90 that the key will only turn to the 1 position. I can unlock to steering column to turn the key but it wont go any further. Also the car is in Indiana for the first time and it is 9 degrees last nite (ie my son has it for college now), the car has always been in Louisiana before last month.
Any help would be appreciated.
Scott
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has 75000 miles on it and was recently tuned up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never had any problem with the ignition key before last nite.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello Scoot, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. I would definitely start by checking the battery. If it is dead then this will occur. If the battery is fine then there may be a problem with either the key or the pick up for the key. Does he have a spare key for the car to try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. Already tried spare key.
I put new battery in in September. Worried about the cold.
Any other idea would be appreciated.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Did he say if anything electrical is coming on when the key is moved to the first position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes normal ding noise and dash lights upDo you think it still could be battery?
Thanks Bobby
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I definitely do. I would start by either having it tested or see if jumping it makes any difference. If not then it may even be an issue with the transmission position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Will try the jump start first.
Can you elaborate on the transmission position sensor?
Tnx
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If the transmission is not showing in park or nuetral then the key will not turn. More than likely it is the battery though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Will get battery checked in morning.
He said it shows all the normal lights and radio and headlights come on.
If not battery.what fix or check can be done on transmission position sensor?
Thanks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I know this is a shot in the dark but does he have a scan tool? One other thing he can try is unhooking the battery cables for a few minutes and then hooking it back up to see if it releases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scan tool( u mean a hand held diagnostic that u plug in?)
But the cable disconnect is worth a shot.
What about this being a defect in the steering collar lock mechanism?
Thanks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

That is entirely possible. It is not too common though. It can be a tumbler issue also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is recommended if a tumbler issue?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The key lock cylinder may need to be replaced which would include new keys. I do not think it is this though.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. Actually, the column lock is a very common failure. If you'd like, I can send you a document I made that shows how you can bypass it to save a tow, or replace it yourself. You'll need a flat head screw driver, a torx 20 and a torx 25 to bypass it. And to replace it yourself, you'll need a Dremel or a drill. Let me know if this is something you'd like and I will upload it.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Would it be something you'd like to try? It isn't very difficult at all to bypass

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy
I would like to try but it is with my son in college and he is unsure.
Lemme check with him and get back to you.
Thanks!
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

No problem, just let me know. You can always send him the document and he can give it a shot if he wants

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
If u can send me the document and I will forward to him to try that's great.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

It shows first how to bypass it and then once bypassed, how to replace if he wants to try that. The part has to be ordered by a dealer because it comes coded to the existing keys. It runs about $280. Labor to replace at a shop would be 1.5 hours.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if he has any other questions. When you're all set, please remember to rate my service so that I may be credited for helping. Note that there are two experts involved, so be sure to rate the correct one. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will
thanks gents.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up to see if you or your son had any other questions about this. Was he able to get it bypassed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy
Thanks, ***** ***** a full day of classes today, so he hopes to try tomorrow afternoon.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Scott
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. Just following up to see how he made out since I see this is still open. Let me know if you need anything else when you have a chance. Thanks!

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,

I see you have checked back but this question remains open. Do you still need help? Please select a rating for my service so that I may be credited for helping. Rating does not change the amount charged, it just allows a portion to be shared with me for helping and creating that document. Thank you.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Is there a reason for checking back and not providing a rating? It is the only way we are compensated for helping.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,

Did you need any other help with this? I see you have checked back several times but have not indicated a need for further assistance. Please let me know how I can help. Please select a rating for my service so that I can be credited for my time.