Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I just swapped the engine in my 2002 Volvo V70 and it has a

Customer Question

I just swapped the engine in my 2002 Volvo V70 and it has a rough idle, along with these codes:
-P2177 (System too lean off idle, bank 1)
-P0507 (Idle air control system RPM higher than expected)
-P0300 (Random misfire detected)
I can't figure out how to fix the issues and get this car running. Any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin all these codes point towards i thing .an air leak .check around any disturbed seals on. Manifold .you can check this by spraying carb cleaned or something simular around the seal areas and listening for change in engine note

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks kevin. When you say "listen for change in engine note" do you mean the engine will whistle or something where it is leaking? Also, i put a nee exhaust manifold gasket on for the swap but not a new intake manifold gasket since the manifold was already on the engine when i bought it. Should i take off the intake manifold and put on a brand new gasket?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It will be on the inlet side that you have an air leak .an new gasket is a step in the right direction if its ben disturbed it should be replaced.the engine will effctively rev up a little on its own

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did some more diagnostics and found that im not firing on cylinders 1 and 2. This is actually the 2nd engine swap back to back because the last engine didnt fire on cylinders 1 and 2. Makes me think this might actually be an issue with the spark plug wiring harness. Spark plugs are brand new. Can you let me know tour thoughts and provide instructions for replacing the wiring harness?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I dont have these instructions i can opt out another tech may habe this but i dont think this is your issue if you had a spark failure you would have engine rich fault codes not lean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But i can disconnect both 1 and 2 spark plug wires while the engine is on and not hear any difference in engine performance. I dont believe that is normal. Then if i disconnect just one of the working cylinders (3, 4 or 5) there is a big difference. Engine even dies. Also, i sprayed the seals with carb cleaner and couldnt hear any difference in engine performance either.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Its possible it could be injectors at fault this would fit with the fault codes you have