sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Our daughter has a 2000 Volvo v40 that came with only one

Customer Question

Hey Doug! Our daughter has a 2000 Volvo v40 that came with only one key. The plastic cover has broken but the key works as she has taped it together as a temporary fix. Is it possible to replace just the plastic fob since the key and chip are intact? Also is it possible to upgrade this to an alarm,panic and lock button model? Thank you for any advice you can share! Alexandra
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible to replace just the fob shell with an aftermarket replacement but the key would be serviced as an assembly with factory parts.

The fob shells are inexpensive and something you should be able to replace on your own in just a few minutes. Are you able to upload a picture of the key it has currently so I can locate the correct replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send a picture tomorrow or the next day when my daughter is back with the car. Thanks. A.

Great.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my daughter has been out of town longer than I expected so didn't get a picture plus it's wrapped up in tape! Anyway it is just a plain fob with no button controls on it...if that helps you identify the correct model.

A fob has buttons; fob stands for finger operated button. It's just a plain key and the vehicle does not have keyless entry?