Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I just went out to start my 2009 c30 and it clicked and said

Customer Question

Hello Andy,
I just went out to start my 2009 c30 and it clicked and said that it could not recognize the key.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases this fault here is due to a weak or dead battery.If you have not had the battery checked/tested at all this needs done to see if this is a faulty battery needing replaced to correct this fault here.I would check and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight and you can also try and recharge the battery or a jump start to see if the vehicle then starts and runs from there.

If this is all found to be o.k. the key itself may have failed electronically and the vehicle is not picking up on the signal from the faulty key causing this and the key will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.