sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I JUST ROMOVED MY TRANSFER CASE FROM MY 2003 VOLVO XC 70 AND

Customer Question

GOOD MORNING I JUST ROMOVED MY TRANSFER CASE FROM MY 2003 VOLVO XC 70 AND FOUND THAT WHERE THE CASE CONNECTS TO THE TRANSMISSION THE SPLINES ARE TOAST WHAT CAN I DO ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The course of action will depend on where the spline damage is. If the damage is on the transmission then it will either need to be replaced or removed and the damaged output shaft replaced, if the damage is on the transfer case then the transfer case will need to be replaced or dissembled for repair. Parts availability may be the deciding factor.

Is it the trans, transfer case or both that shows damage?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

That isn't entirely correct. The transmission does not need to be replaced. If the splines on the transmission end are worn, which is the most common place for wear, Volvo sells a new coupler.

If it is on the angle gear, then the angle gear needs to be replaced, as that part is not available separately.

As I mentioned the transmission or transfer case may be able to repaired but it depends on the extent of the damage and where it's at.