Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a volvo 01 v70 with the 2.4t engine. oil leaking from

Customer Question

i have a volvo 01 v70 with the 2.4t engine. oil leaking from the gear of the intake side non vvt. replaced cam seals and it appears it is leaking from the bolts that hold on the cam gear. its not leaking from the seal. ever heard of this before?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

It usually helps to see the leak, so if possible if you have it apart to see the cam gear, can you take a photo and upload it here using the paperclip icon on your reply bar.

I havent seen one leak from there before, but if I can see what it looks like, I should be able to diagnose it for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I do have the cam gear off. so far i have replaced crank seal by oil pump. was still leaking so i did both cam seals. still leaking so i cleaned it with degreaser and a pressure washer, let her dry completely then ran it with a light inspecting where i found oil come from first. wasn't leaking from the cam seal, wasn't leaking from the cam cover to head gasket, it literally looked like it was coming from the middle of the cam gear, or from the bolts that hold the gear onto the cam. I'm pretty sure that is a solid cam and there is no oil running through it. the leak started on the outside of cam gear(away from engine) and from the very most inside part where the actual cam sticks out from the gear then centripetal force thew it to the outside of the gear. Ill take some pics but I do have it apart looking for any holes that i see. The seal hasn't wobbled out of place or been pushed out. did the rubber glove test to make sure i didn't have positive pressure in the crankcase and all was good. I have never seen anything like this before and took it to another mechanic and he is baffled. so if you can help me solve this you deserve more than 5 stars and a pack of beer. haha. Ill upload some pics a little bit later.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good. Also check to see if there is front to rear movement of the camshaft itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel any end play or play at all in any direction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other places it could be leaking from other than the seal or cam cover?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

There isnt any where else there for it to leak unless there is some hairline crack on the back side of the cam allowing oil to seep thru the bolt holes, which I have never seen in my 30 plus yrs of auto repair.

It has to be coming from the cam seal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I think im going to do is get the cam seal from the dealer and make it vin specific. I bought a seal set from napa which usually works just fine, but everyonce in a blue moon the oem works and aftermarket doesnt. So ill see if they have that seal and replace it again and if that doesnt fix it its just going to have a permanent leak.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sounds good and let me know how it goes.