Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Why wont my 2000 s 80 volvo engine rev over 2500 rpm

Customer Question

why wont my 2000 s 80 volvo engine rev over 2500 rpm
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

There are a couple of different issues here that I can think of that will cause this fault.First is a restriction in the exhaust most common with a restriction with the catalytic converter itself.I have seen these restrict in the past before with it needing replaced to correct this fault here.The exhaust back pressure builds up in the exhaust system causing this fault.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this should be done.Usually you don't want to see a back pressure of higher then 1.5 psi at any engine rpm range.If you do have a higher back pressure the catalytic converter is usually plugged needing replaced.This will require an exhaust back pressure tester to test this here and most shops or dealers or an exhaust shop will have this tool to do this testing.

The other issue is weak fuel pressure or fuel volume from the fuel pump or lack of fuel flow through the fuel filter.Usually if this is the case though the engine has a hard time starting or may cough and sputter when running or driven.I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if this is an issue here.This usually requires a fuel pressure test gauge to do this testing.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.