Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Noticed the car power was low then oil light came on. Parked

Customer Question

Noticed the car power was low then oil light came on. Parked car an went to meeting. Then checked oil and there was none. Added 4 quarts and drove about 5 miles then light again. Pulled over and again no oil. Leak appears on passenger side. Filter and plug are intact. Any idea and cost?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin is there any way you can send a picture of rough location of leak to assist me with diagnosis ?when oil is added does engine running improve ? Was there any noise when engine initially lost power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car ran better after I added oil but didnt last long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was on the freeway and when i added gass it felt like i was in winter mode but wasnt.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

From the pictures I can see it looks most likely to be the filter housing that is leaking do not drive the car until the problem is fixed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that cause it to leak so much? Any idea what i should expect to pay for a repair?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If the filter housing is broken it will leak that amount of oil the housing is made of plastic and can crack If it is the filter housing that's cracked I would expect the part to be around $100 plus new oil filter and engine oil and around an hours labour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Seems like there is oul above the filter too so maybe comming from somewhere else. Read something about turbo return to oil pan and bad seal? Does that sound like a possibility?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

It's possible it's in the same area it will be located up above the sump area but from memory I think that's at the back of the engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No worries please rate my service and come back if you need anything else at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the filter housing. It was the turbo return seal as suspected.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Glad your sorted