CHEVYEATER351
CHEVYEATER351, Volvo Master
Experience:  Maintained a Volvo Master rating for 10 years. Expertise 1998-2008
76711631

Have a 2003 S60 I installed a new fuel pump it has power to

Customer Question

Hi have a 2003 S60 I installed a new fuel pump it has power to the pump but it won't start up hooked up a power probe to the pump and pump runs
Category: Volvo
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this issue.

You say the pump runs, but is there any fuel pressure? Is there fuel in both sides of the fuel tank? If there is only fuel in one side of the tank the siphon may not be working and not moving fuel to the side of the fuel pump. In that case you may not have the siphon connected or the siphon side is clogged, kinked or not working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The customer said the car would stop running after she let it sit it would fire back up the car was in our shop before and the pump was making groaning noise so we figured that the pump finally gave out.

Ok, I agree it sounds like a pump issue, but it would be nice to know if it has fuel pressure. Sounds like the fuel pump is overheating and when the pump cools down the pump works and builds pressure. Just make sure if you replace the fuel pump that the fuel is transferring so it doesn't come back with half a tank of gas and will not run. This is caused by the siphon not transferring the fuel. This will save you an unhappy customer return and them questioning your previous repair.

Please leave me positive feedback for answering your question, I will still be able to answer questions pertaining to this question even after a positive rating is received. If you have another question about this subject please ask and I will help as quick as I can.