Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1999 Volvo C70 Coupe...non convertible. The trunk

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Volvo C70 Coupe...non convertible. The trunk will not open. It acts like it is stuck in the lock position. The remote and door switch trigger a relay under the dash but the trunk latch does not react. The fuel door right next the the trunk switch works just fine. When you insert the key in the trunk lock you can turn it to the left and lock the trunk & you can move it back to a straight up position. When you turn it to the right you feel spring tension but the latch does not function. This model does not have an emergency trunk release inside the trunk. I think the latch is bad but I can't open the trunk to change or test the latch.....ank ideas???
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

See if fuse C1 10 amp is good. See if the fuse powers up when commanding the trunk to open with the switch. If it does not power this fuse and see if the trunk lid unlocks. If it does not then gain access to the trunk latch from the back seat down so you can try powering the blue/brown wire and grounding the black. If that too fails then you need to break the latch apart to get the trunk open to address the faulty latch motor.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can not gain access to the trunk....there is only a very small pass through behind the rear seat arm rest. If we could get in the trunk it would be open by now. We will check the fuse and get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were able to solve the issues....Thank You

Glad you got it resolved, was it the fuse I mentioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the fuse was good. The clip that attaches the rod to the tumbler had broken & the rod was in the lock position. We were able to get a long rod through the pass through to get the panel off the inside of the trunk lid to see what had happened. We then moved the rod out of the unlock position & get the trunk open so that we could repair it.

Thanks for letting me know what you found to be the problem.