Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I have a Volvo S40 2006. The timing belt broke and I was

Customer Question

I have a Volvo S40 2006. The timing belt broke and I was told I need a new engine. I am strapped for $. Is this the only fix? it has 90,000 miles plus
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. I am going to help with your question today. Unfortunately, because that engine is an interference fit engine, major damage occurs when the timing belt breaks. In most cases, the valves are bent and you can just replace the cylinder head. If the car was not inspected for piston damage, then you may just need a new head. You can get a used head, complete with valves, for much less than a new one. However, the job is not a cheap one because there is a lot of labor involved. A new head is about $2500, plus various other gaskets and seals and a new timing belt. Labor is about 18 hours, so that gets costly right there. Another option would be a used engine, but again, labor is extensive.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to provide a rating for my service at the top right of your screen. This is the only way we are compensated here. It does not change the cost, it simply allows a portion to be shared with me instead of the website keeping it all