Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2006 Volvo s40 2.4 fwd that is going seriously

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2006 Volvo s40 2.4 fwd that is going seriously buggy. I have a new alt and battery installed and the car turns over but will not start!! When I open the door the cars CD player starts making noise and the message board on the dash lights up even without the key in the ignition. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. Please help!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

this sounds like low battery voltage / a poor earth connection

so I'd double check the state of the earth connections, all should be tight and free from corrosion

check the main battery connections and the main earht lead connection to the engine

also check the state of the high power fuses in the under hood fusebox for corrosion and cracks

it would also be worth charging the battery to see if this helps

if it does its possible the new alternator isn't charging

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done these things. This car is demon possessed lol. I'm taking it into the shop
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if thats OK then I'd suggest locating the body control module (under the dash) and disconnecting it, cleaning the pins with some contact cleaner and then checking the state of the wiring loom to it

as its possible a poor connection to this module or the module is faulty

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.