Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, shop owner, 30+ years all makes and models
2947720

2001 V70 XC 166 K Started leaking oil, about 1 quart every 5

Customer Question

2001 V70 XC 166 K Started leaking oil, about 1 quart every 5 min. a mechanic dropped the oil pan. not the problem. said leak higher up. would cost $500.00 just to diagnose the problem. it seems to me this leak should be verifiable if he was a decent experienced mechanic. what,s your opinion. Would the car be worth fixing?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

******* THIS IS NOT AN ANSWER, I JUST NEED MORE INFORMATION ********

.

Does it leak toward the rear of the engine or toward the front?

.

Also, is that a quart every 5 minutes with the engine running?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leaking from side of engine. around timing cover. leaks while running. We live in Arizona. The car is in Chicago. trying to decide to have it fixed in Chicago,or tow to Arizona.or donate .to charity. The car is an extra, if repaired, we may keep it, or probally try to sell it. The money we will have invested in the car would be the cost to fix and get it to Arizona.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. It sounds as if one of the camshaft seals or the crankshaft seal may have popped out of place. It could cost over $600 at the least. If you tow it to another state, along with the cost to repair it, it would cost beyond what the book value of the vehicle is.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I do not have access to your email address,

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for a little bit more.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Where did you go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. We decided to donate the vehicle to a charity in Illinois. Thank you for your assistance in arriving at this decision.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

It keeps showing that you are waiting for me. Did you need more on it?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Really?