Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Warning light display says coolant level low, do not start

Customer Question

warning light display says coolant level low, do not start engine or stop engine. I cannot get the cap off of the coolant expansion tank, why? Also can I add any coolant(antifreeze?). Please advise car is a xc70 2009 wagon, CS
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

the expansion tank cap should just unscrew- it'll be tight but it will undo - try pushing down slightly as you turn

I would use Volvo brand coolant. I've seen blue, red, green etc. But Volvo Coolant is a blueish color. (which is what I would recommend) Don't use Dex-cool use ethlyene glycol based coolant and you'll be fine.

There is a coolant level sensor in the bottom of the coolant reservoir. These sensors fail frequently and even though the level is fine, the sensor doesn't function properly cutting the indicator light on so it may only be that

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.