Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

I have a 1994 volvo 850 2.4 that is driving me crazy. About

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
I have a 1994 volvo 850 2.4 that is driving me crazy. About 3 months ago, it gave code 121 for MAF (mass air flow sensor). I replaced MAF with an OEM, but that did not clear the code. I bought three used MAF from junk yard same as the one in the car tried them but none of them cleared the code. I thought they were all bad. I then bought a another used one from Ebay. After I installed it, I cleared the code. The engine light disappeared but when I tried to start the car, the engine crank but won't run or stay running. I took it to three different volvo specialists (not the dealers) and all the three advised I install a new MAF. I bought a new MAF online brand new same as the one in the car, but again the car would crank and go as if to start but won't run or stay idling. I'm lost. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, rotor, idling valve, and air filter but no change. Again I insert the key, it crank and goes as if to start, but cut off. What would you suggest?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you stall setting the same code and your sure the New MAF is okay and its the correct one then you may be dealing with a wiring concern to it affecting the signal. I would also make sure there are no unmetered air leaks in the air intake hose . See the steps to check the signal in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Code%20121%20Oct%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,Unfortunately, I cannot rate you because I did not use the answers you
provided to my question. Because no one from your company responded to my
question for almost 9 hours (my question sent at 1:08 AM; your response from
you was sent at 9:52 AM if we are on the same time zone, eastern standard
time). By the time your response came, I had already given up and had already
taken my car to a local mechanic because I could not wait any longer. The
issue was a Bad ECM. The vehicle is now fixed.Sorry. May be I will rate another time.Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I have no control over the wait time, I work off the west coast so I'm sorry for the delay. The main thing is it sounds like you got it resolved . Thank you just the same.