Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My Volvo S40 (2003 Model) wasnt igniting for a bit & so I

Customer Question

Customer: My Volvo S40 (2003 Model) wasnt igniting for a bit & so I got some technicians to check it out, they told me that it was the immobilizer and took the box away to fixafterwards the car was coming on but it goes off after about 10 sec
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What exactly would you like to Know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My email address is***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own a 2003 Volvo S40, recently I had to jump start it because it seemed like the battery ran flat. However, I noticed after a few trails that I wasn't hearing any sound from the car again, coupled with the fact that I was seeing a sign with a car and an X across it on my dash. As such I got some technicians to check it out and I was told that the immobilizer would have to be worked on. The box was taken away and when it was returned, I noticed that the car was coming up. However, it goes off in about 10 seconds after it starts (like the fuel supply system is not active). The Technicians did a lot of trouble shooting and still haven't solved the problem. So I would like to know how you can help me resolve this problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

It sounds like there is still an issue in the immobilizer system. See if your techs have a VAG scan tool to check for any fault codes and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Eric, but how can I be sure that its actually the immobilizer and if so what solution do you recommend. The Technicians went on to actually say that there is also an issue with the ECM (brain box) and recommended that I change the immobilizer, ECU and key to the car. off-course I have a very huge reservation about their recommendations and that is why am here.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Did they give you the fault codes that they retreived? If not ask them for any fault code numbers that they retrieved using a scan tool. these will confirm the issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Technician said that there was no error code displayed when the car was scanned. I am seriously toying with the idea of sending the ECU to checklight.weebly.com they claim that they can re-program the ECU such that it will be independent of the immobilizer. However, is there any chance that there is a problem with the ECU itself?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Yes, there is chance that the ecu may have internal issues. Honestly, this is one that requires hands on testing and I dont believe I can answer without doing the testing myself - I will opt out and see if another expert has an idea