Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

2005 volvo v70 2.4 liter non turbo replace the oil pump and

Customer Question

2005 volvo v70 2.4 liter non turbo replace the oil pump and cam seals it has vvt on the intake. Gof it running and got a code p00011. so I advance the crankshaft by 1/8 inch that code went out now I have a code po171. Would the intake cam cause it to threw that code???? Or am I chasing nothing. After I clear the code it won't come back on intill you start the car again. Don't know what to do.could shed some light. I don't have a degree wheel so it's a little adjustments at a time. Thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0171 is a lean engine code in most cases set due to an engine vacuum leak and or some sort of unmettered air leak. Go back in and check all you vacuum lines as well as the PVC system and air intake system to make sure all the lines are secure and none are leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did I had 3 vacuum links off on the air filter. Drove it again and stump on it came to a stop and it was surging light came on the codes were p00011 & p0171. cleared them never came on. I turned the car off and when I started it again it w as fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the light and code have not returned then you are likely okay. I would drive it some more and see if anything resets. Sounds like you may have got it resolved by fixing the vacuum lines at the air filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the camshaft out of time cause the to set the code. Po171
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No is should not set any lean code due to camshaft timing. Lean code usually set due to an engine vacuum leak, the code P0171 is lean code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron***@******.*** 05 volvo C7. Ok got it running good again got a Code p0171 change the mass air sensor drove again now I got a code p0026. One thing I found on line cam adjustment intake. I put the tool in the cams then I loosened all of the cam bolts I mare sure that the vvt was turn tight cow that's what I found on line. The cam ,timing belt turns the oppset way. Do I have the vvt adjusted wrong.???????. If I do could you help me with that. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The common cause for the code P0026 to set is in most cases caused by incorrect Cam timing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok could help me with that????? I have a tool that would go in the block some where but I don't know where..... I look on the block but I didn't see a place. I bought the tool off ebay.. then witch way would I move the crank???????
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The timing belt alignment is pretty basic , all you need to do is line the marks up. See the steps in the link below, are these the steps you used?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cam%20timing%20Oct%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I read those forms it dose not say anything about the vvt adjustment with the crankshaft...... if it's that simple why can't I seam to get this right....... Ok how much is the cam out in order for it to set a code??????? Do I need any other TOOLS TO FIX THIS CAR...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They can be off by one tooth and set a code. Im not aware of any other tools you need to replace the belt. Why don't you go back and recheck the alignment and see if its lined up. With both cams set right as well as the crank, both valve on #1 should be closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I adj the belt is a 1/4 tooth to much. The very frist time I got p0011.I mark the vvt then move it so I moved the crankshaft 1/8 inch clock wies. It will start up ok... when it comes to idle it might surge or run smoth..... I guess I am at the point I am not sure witch way to move the crankshaft. .... I was wounding if I had to drain the oil from the vvt...... I know your problely getting tired of me. Sorry how do you think my costumer feels. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

IUsually if your lined up right on both cams the marks are spot on. You may want to consider getting a cam holding tool. Usually you don't need them but in your case it may help you hold the cams from moving. There is no draining required. I'm not getting tired of you , actually this is one of those times I wish I was there to give you some hands on help .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tool I have lock the cams from the back of the heads. So when I they are lock the crank has the mark in between two teeth so it's kinda hard to see. When I get home I will start over. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That what I would do, go back and liner everything back up once more and see where your marks are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. well it's another day life is good hope your day is a bless one. I have tie timing right. I took the starter out put the tool in for the crank. Just wondering dose it matter how the vvvt gose on the camshaft.????? This car had a oil leak. I change the oil pump with a volvo pump.if the pump is bad not enough oil pressure????? thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

They way it mounts Im not sure it would fit any other way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ron. Doug here. I had everything lined up the vvt was all the way clock wise. When it idle it would saurge up and down. So I set the vvt in the center of movement of back and fourth so 2 belt teeth alignment of marks. The crank was lock also. Started it ran great idle nice had great pick up then it quit running it seams the the cam is out of time.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In most cases if the cam is out of time then it will not usually run let alone run well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I have every thing align I would turn the engine around by hand the intake never aligns up with the ex. The intake cam is lacking 1/4 turn wI th ex and crank.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you using the holding tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cams r lock together and I take the starter out to put the plug in
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well I'm not sure what your doing wrong and I am out of ideas, At this point I can open the question back up for you and see if someone else has something else to add.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok because I don't know what to do. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Opening it up now. If someone can add anything they will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nobody answered our questions????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I know you referred me some where else. I after adjusting the vvt I have a p0026 never had that code. The car was running good. Then it lost power and that happened. I have it adjusted a different way was running the best it had then it quiet running I had it tow home. Recheck timeing marks every thing was in alignment . When I try to start it sound like the cam was opening to soon. I don't know now I did every thing I know.. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any word yet.