Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Enes. I have several codes after switching to a used turbo

Customer Question

Hello Enes. I have several codes after switching to a used turbo on a 1999 c70.1600, 928a, 904d, 6806,4308, and it goes into limp mode after only a few miles. I replaced the turbo because the shaft was worn out and wouldn't even move. Now it runs worse. Can you help me?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Double check and make sure everything was installed and connected properly when the replacement was done and that no other components were bumped loose or damaged in any way causing this issue here.If this is all checked and found to be o.k. double check and make sure the correct turbo was installed on this model.There is a chance the replacement turbo itself may be at fault not operating properly and is causing this as well.If this is all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the numbers and the newer turbo is identical to the original one. I also double checked all the connections any where near the ones I reconnected and everything looks fine. All the sensors that are referenced by the codes are new.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Inspect and make sure no wiring was damaged leading to these sensors and components.With the codes setting after this repair here and the sensors referenced here being new this can be an issue with the engine wiring itself needing repaired or in some cases replaced all depending on how bad the fault is here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's not that much wiring in the area where I worked. When I went back to check the vacuum hoses and all the connections that I made. I checked the wiring as well.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you clear out all of these codes then try and operate the vehicle again do all of these codes come right back or only one or more come back again?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The remaining codes that were still on the last time I drove the vehicle were 1600, 1300 and 6806. Now the vehicle won't even start.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The info I see on these codes is :

1300 low flow detected by mass air flow sensor.This can be a fault with the mass air flow sensor itself,restriction in intake air flow or a wiring fault or engine computer fault to the sensor.

1600 low signal/flow from boost pressure sensor.This can be a fault with this pressure sensor itself needing replaced,low flow from low flow from turbo or ait intake or a fault in the wiring leading from the ecm to the sensor or the ecm itself.

6806 is a flow of air into the intake to high or to low.Once again this is a flow issue with not enough air into the intake.

These codes indicate there isn't enough flow into the intake or there is a vacuum leak still needing located and repaired or possibly the mass air flow sensor signal is faulty and the sensor needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would hardly think that all three of those components would fail at the same time and the same could be said for the wiring or the relationship with the ecm for all three of them at once. I suspect that the low flow from the turbo would cause all three of those codes and stop the car. Someone else online suggested that the waste gate actuator has a bad vacuum diaphram. I'm wondering how I'm getting low flow from the turbo. The old one made a grinding sound and had a stuck shafts when I pulled it out. I replaced it with a "good-used" one and it made the same grinding sound for a while. The sound went away and then it ran beautifully for that whole night. Then, when I drove it the next day, it made the grinding sound again and began running terribly, went into limp mode and pinged all those codes I wrote about in my first post to you. It's too much of a coincidence for it to be just the sensors or wiring for all three of those components at once.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like the sensors are most likely o.k. but low flow from the intake due to air restriction into the engine can cause these here.

Was it the waste gate solenoid itself that made this noise for sure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound was malic and scraping. When I pulled out the old turbo it had a stuck shaft. I'm not sure what a bad waste gate control actuator would sound like. I'm wondering if there's a problem oiling or cooling the turbo and how I would determine that if there were. That would explain how two turbos in a row went bad in rapid succession. This makes it unacceptable to buy a new turbo unless I eliminate this possibility.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It is possible there is an issue with oil to the turbo itself.My info isn't showing me how exactly this oiling works on this model here.Do you see any issues with the oil lines or ports leading to the turbo at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Visually everything looks just fine. No leaks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is a difficult question for me to be able to answer myself here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

IT sounds based on your codes you have bad throttle Body so called etm also

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My throttle body is literally brand new. It's a Zemodex reman unit with the contactless tps. It has been working fine since I installed it a very short time ago.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

So your problem started after you install throttle from XeMODeX ? Can you clear all codes And see try to start rub And tell me what codes came back ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The problem started a few months after I installed the Zemodex unit. The turbo just started grinding and wizzing with a bad metallic noise. I changed over to a "good-used" one and it did the same thing. Then it threw all the codes I mentioned in the original post. I think there must be something wrong with the turbo controls because the car only had 130 thousand miles on it and the turbo that came out was completely unmoving. I suspect something that would cause it to over-spool since it cooked two turbos in a row. I have to get to the root cause before I can reconcile buying a new turbo.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

I don't for sure like this thru email what is wrong