Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I have a 2005 Volvo xc90. I have having some minor issues

Customer Question

Hello Andy, I have a 2005 Volvo xc90. I have having some minor issues with it and I wanted to get some advice on how to fix the car
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

What issues are you having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy, Alright so there a couple issues on hand?1. there is a revving noise that the car makes once I am parked or stopped in traffic (stop light) while the A/C is on. I noticed when I turn off the A/C the revving noise stops.2. When I drive over 60 mph, the steering wheel begins to shake. Also, I noticed that when I begin to break and slow down the car from those speed (60+ mph)s, the steering wheel shakes more aggressively.3. I think there also seems to be an minor electrical issue. Right now everything in the car works. But sometime during Nov/Dec last year, the entertainment system (CD player) stopped working. After sometime it started working again and never gave me an issue. But right now, the two front headlights are out. I have changed the bulb with brand new ones and they only last for the first drive after installation. After that they go blank again and I have to drive with the high beams at night.These are the only issues with the car and I wanted to get a better understanding of what may be going on before I send it to a mechanic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgive the typos in my earlier message**
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but since those are three separate problems for one question value, I can only go into vague detail about each.

The revving could be a dirty throttle body. There may be fault codes stored that can help the shop find the problem, but I would start by cleaning the throttle if no codes are present.

The shaking at high speeds could be a wheel balance issue or a worn suspension component. They will need to check the front end for loose parts and correct as necessary.

The vibration when braking is usually a sign of warped brake rotors.

The headlights could be a wiring issue if you have halogen bulbs. It is common for the connectors to melt and cause this. If you have bi xenon bulbs, it could be a ballast issue or bad igniters but it would be unlikely for them to both fail at the same time.

Please remember to provide a rating for my service at the top right of your screen. Thank you.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I see you have viewed the information but have not provided a rating. Please provide a rating so that I may be credited for my time. It does not change the amount charged, it just simply allows a small portion to be credited to me. Thank you.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Is there a reason this remains unrated? I see you have again checked back but have not provided a rating. Rating does not change the amount charged. It simply allows me to be credited for answering four questions for the cost of one.