Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Andi. My 2011 xc70 awd t6 right rear tire is wearing out

Customer Question

Hi Andi. My 2011 xc70 awd t6 right rear tire is wearing out after only 8000 miles, all others seem to wear normally.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Has the vehicle had a four wheel alignment after the tires were replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Did the shop that did the alignment provide a printout of the before and after measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't but they told me the opposite side was slightly out that it likely did not require alignment, but I insisted when putting on the new tires.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

They should either provide a prinout, or keep it on file. Otherwise, you don't know if they did the alignment and if so, if it was fine correctly.

An alignment issue would cause like tire wear, so I would suspect an issue there. How is the tire wearing? Is it worn out all the way across the tire or just on one edge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the way across.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The strange part is it is really only the one tire. The first time I thought maybe I just got a bad tire but it's back.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

So this has happened before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it is happening again. 10,000 miles into 50,000 mile tires right rear tire is bald <20%, rest are ok.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Any chance you could post a picture of the tread? I know it may be difficult to get a good shot.