Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 2004 xc90 volvo is smoking through tail pipe very bad.

Customer Question

my 2004 xc90 volvo is smoking through tail pipe very bad .
but engine sound good, with no knocking . what could be the problem?
the turbo charger?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** color is the smoke? Does it smoke more when accelerating and less at idle? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More when acelarated , more grayes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does it smell like oil or fuel? Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke oil, and white smoke coolant. It sounds like you probably have a blueish smoke which would be the turbocharger. You can remove line from turbocharger to see if there is oil in it, if so you know turbo is leaking. You can buy a turbocharger from ebay to save money otherwise they are pretty expensive. It is about a 9 hour job book rate to have turbocharger replaced at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I do also want to mention problem could be related to PCV system which would be a lot cheaper fix so it would probably worth bringing to a shop that works on Volvo so nothing related to PCV system is overlooked. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan , that was my honch also
The car is running kind of sluggish
So the would over rule the pvc
Correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It would point more toward turbo but not rule out PCV. If it has ALOT more smoke under acceleration that also points a lot more toward turbo. But I'd still test PCV system before replacing turbo. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks.