Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I CHANGED FUEL PUMP & SENDING UNIT 98 VOLVO V70XC TURBO AWD

Customer Question

I CHANGED FUEL PUMP & SENDING UNIT 98 VOLVO V70XC TURBO AWD STILL FUEL GAGE NOT REGISTERING
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Did you replace both fuel gauge senders in the tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT IS ALL ONE UNIT
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Different expert here. This is possibly a bad coil driver in the instrument cluster for the fuel gage, faulty fuel gage itself or short in the wiring harness. I need the 17 digit vin number to pull the schematics and you will need both a test light and digital volt ohm meter (dvom) for testing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YV1LZ5642W22502249 98 VOLVO V70XC
Awd turbo 5cyle all in one pump sending unit
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, do you have a digital voltmeter for testing and decent understanding of reading wiring diagrams

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both .just tell were to set meter
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, first thing is to download/print the wiring diagram and legend that I have uploaded for you. You will first note that Volvo does not believe in labeling the components with their names, instead using numbers for them. The instrument cluster is 5/1 and the cluster harness connector is 24/13. The legend is on the last page, so you have to constantly refer to it.

The first we do is to check for power at the cluster. This will tell us if it is the cluster or not. If not, then we will need to check for power from the sending unit. First, this makes sure you dont have a defective one and we spend hours chasing our tails because we did not check it. If power is good, then we will check the ecm.

So first, on the green with red striped wire, pin 4 on the instrument cluster connector with key on, check for at least 10v. If present, cause found - replace cluster or send out for repair.

If not present, then we will go from there, but one thing at a time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Listen thanks a lot it's about 6 o'clock in Florida I am tired I will get back to you once I print everything out thank you
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, that will be fine. I am here everyday, so whenever you are able to get to it is fine