Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
9261905

MY 2008 Volvo s80 will not start says steering wheel locked

Customer Question

MY 2008 Volvo s80 will not start says steering wheel locked and brake pedal wont depress then flashes put car in park but it is in park.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.

Try gripping the steering wheel and turning it from left / then right -wiggling..as you attempt to turn the key to start.

Often this will get it to work - and after then you can have it looked at.

Common issues are with the lock on the steering wheel being faulty - but you can have other things at fault - such as the brake switch faulty... You can check if the brake lights are working.. if they are not, thats a good sign that the brake switch is your fault - a new switch would be the answer there though check the connection to the switch first . ( Its located up the back of the brake pedal )

Hopefully you will get it going one way or the other as above...but if not, then Im afraid you will need breakdown service / garage help to run tests / diag checks and go from there.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hi again -

I note you never got back to me re the above.. If you do need any further help on this at all , do let me know..or if we are done, I just need you to click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you kindly - and you are welcome back anytime at all.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.