Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Got a 2008 volvo s60 2.5,turns over but wont start,has fuel

Customer Question

got a 2008 volvo s60 2.5,turns over but wont start,has fuel and fire/and keeps setting intake and exhaust cam sensor signal missing per vida,tried ecm,dim,new key,missing something,need freah idea
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. What are the code numbers you are getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
340b and 341b
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Was any work done to the car before this no-start condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another shop did a timing belt several weeks ago,i know they dont have cam locks etc,compression good,visual looks ok
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

They just did the belt? The cam locks are not needed for doing the belt. Unless they did more (like the VVT or cam seals)

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed the covers on the backs of the cams to check to see if the reluctor wheels are attached to the cams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tech said their fine,car ran fine cust stated after tbelt service,we check timing again,checked ok
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

If timing is good and you are sure he checked the reluctors to make sure they didn't come off, then the problem is either the sensors or the circuit for them. He will have to remove the ECM and disconnect the sensors to ohm the wiring.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'll get the pin numbers if you'd like

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we ohmed the wires,they are ok,we oscoped both cam sensors,signals seem good
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

What wires did you ohm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ground wire,signal wire and 5 volt reference wire and no wires shorted to ground
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

What pin numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ecm pin a29 to pin 1 on the sensors, ecm pin a65 to pin 2 on the sensor, ecm pin a47 to pin 3 on the sensor, ecm pin a27 to pin 3 on the sensor
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

and they had no resistance? Is there 5V to the sensors when the ECM is plugged in? and is there ground to the sensors when the ECM is plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it had very little resistance, but they had continuity. there was 5v to the sensors, there is a ground with the ecm plugged in
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then the ECM is sending the proper signal and ground to the sensors and the wiring (specifically the signal wires) checks good according to what you're telling me. The problem is either the sensors themselves or the reluctors coming loose. I doubt both sensors failed, but I can only go by what you tell me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we already put a ecm and cem in it. the reluctors are ok i took both of them off and are good. with the oscope the cam sensors are making a great signal, but with vida connected to the car the cam signals work for a second then the signal flat lines
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Why did you put a CEM in it? Did you program the new ECM?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Are there any other codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the new ecm was put in we got a immobilizer codes that where permanent faults, so we replaced the cem and put software to both. the immobilizer codes cleared and havent came back on. all the codes we have now is the cam codes
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to have to opt out of this one. It will be back on the list for other experts to look at and if they have any ideas, they will be along. Something is being missed here and I don't feel I can help over the internet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help. if we figure it out we will let you know