sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 1995 Volvo 850 ..that has started not to start when

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Volvo 850 ..that has started not to start when it warms up. when it cools down and I start to drive it for no more than 10 minutes it feels like it is jerking forward and ready to cut off and the engine sounds like it is still running even after I cut it off. so I can basically drive it no more than 10 minutes and once I park it it takes about 2 hours before I can restart it (cool down). the acceleration is also off. check engine light on
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have more than one issue going on. A hard restart when hot is often caused by vapor lock due to a weak fuel pump check valve but it sounds like you do have an ignition system also. if there was no spark during the time it wouldn't start that will definitely need to be repaired first.

the first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting. The engine light is on because the engine controller has seen an issue in a monitored component and set a fault code. Do you know what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not 100 percent sure on the code..a friend looked at it that was a mechanic and suggested replying the distributor and do a tune up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the code was oxygen sensor

An oxygen sensor wouldn't affect spark. Can you explain how you checked for spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was checked with a scew driver..are u a certified volvo mechanic

Where was the screwdriver used exactly?