sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I connected a Fuel Pressure Gauge to the Fuel Pump and when

Customer Question

Chris, I connected a Fuel Pressure Gauge to the Fuel Pump and when I'm trying to start the Volvo, I'm getting 70 psi. I have replaced the Fuel Filter and Fuel Rail Pressure Regulator Dampner with no change in Zero Fuel Pressure at the Fuel Rail. If I let
the car sit for several hours, the car will start and Run for approximately 10 seconds. When I try to restart it, it just cranks with no sign of firing up.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just pulled apart the fuel rail assembly. I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line and obtained 50 psi as I was cranking the engine.
When I hook up the fuel line to the fuel rail but leave out the injectors and fuel dampner regulator, crank the engine no fuel comes out anywhere.
I have blown out all of the holes in the fuel rail from the fuel line attach point.I'm Stumped !!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like the issue has to be at the connection between the fuel line and rail. If you have fuel at the line but nothing comes from the injector holes when the key is cycled and the fuel line connected then nothing is entering the fuel rail. Many vehicles have a valve in the fuel line to prevent drainback and this could be your restriction.

Have you tried low pressure shop air with a rubber tipped blowgun at the rail inlet, injectors removed, to see if air would flow easily from the injector holes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that yesterday and the air came out every hole clean.What should my fuel pressure be when I just turn the key on ??Also does the fuel pressure increase as I try to start the car ?I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up directly to the fuel pump ?When I turn the key on I get 20 psi but when I crank the engine it increases to 50 psi.Is this correct ?

The initial build when the key is first turned on won't be to full pressure after having the system open. It should be 54-57 PSI with the pump running.

Are you just cycling the key once and seeing the 20 PSI?