Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

I need to know how to set the dead timing on a Volvo engine

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Are you trying to replace the timing belt yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volvo that someone else took a part and did not set up the cams right I need to know how to get the cams in line with the value timing not the crank timing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They call it setting the dead timing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To my understanding that the cams adjust to different settings as the enginesun rpm increases and that is what is out

Thank you for the good information as vehicle terminology can very from different manufactures.

Have the camshaft gears been removed from the cams?

Volvo engines with adjustable camshaft timing, (CVVT) Continuous variable camshaft timing. Is used to adjust the camshaft under rpms and load on the engine.

If the camshaft gears have been removed from the cams a special tool will be needed to set the proper timing. Here is a link to the tools, this is essential to getting the timing correct. http://www.amazon.com/Camshaft-Crankshaft-Alignment-Locking-Cylinder/dp/B00AVLU3ZK

Timing belt procedure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any line up marks or does it just line up with the tool.

There is marks you line up with the camshaft gears and the marks on the upper timing cover.

I am sorry i was eating dinner and was not able to give you a call. If you like i can put in another request for a phone call tomorrow sometime if you like.

Have i answered all of your questions? I only strive for excellent service, please let me know how else i can help. I wish you the best of luck getting the timing set correctly.

Thanks

William