sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I HAVE A 2004 C-70 CONV. VOLVO WITH A STARTIN PROBLEM.

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2004 C-70 CONV. VOLVO WITH A STARTIN PROBLEM. SOMETIMES IT WILL NOT START UNTIL IT SITS A WHILE. FROM A FEW MINUTES TO AN HR. AT THE GROCERY STORE WITH GROCERY'S IN THE TRUNK.I WIFE REFUSES TO DRIVE IT NOW. I SEE MANY OF THE SAME SITUATION ON
THE INTERNET BUT NO PERNAMENT FIXES. I SEE QLL TYPES OF GIMICS THAT PEOPLE HAVE TRIES TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I SEE THAT THE ANTENNA RING REPLACEMENT MAY WORK OR THE IMMOBLELIZER REPLACEMENT IS THE ANSWER. REPLACEMENT OF THESE PARTS COULD BE FROM $400.00 FOR
THE RING IN THE STEERING COLUMN TO $ 1645.00 FOR THE IMMOBLELIZER. I ALSO SEE A COMPUTER PRORAM THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD TO REFRESH OR CORRECT THE CAR'S COMPUTER AND IT WILL CORRECT THE PROBLEM
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a hard start. The problem could definitely be immobilizer related, it could be an ignition system issue, or fuel related. A hard restart when hot is usually a fuel concern.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. If no codes are set then there is a good chance you're experiencing vapor lock. When you park it with the engine hot the high underhood heat will elevate fuel pressure in the rail, sometimes to the point of boiling. If the fuel pump check valve is weak this will cause fuel to be pushed back into the tank, leaving high pressure vapor in the fuel rails instead of liquid fuel. This will cause a hard restart when hot and would require replacement of the pump.