Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My stop break lights turn on after tting the breaks 1 sec.

Customer Question

Hi Andy,
My stop break lights turn on after hitting the breaks for about 1 sec. and stop working. When i shut engine down and restart car it works for that 1 sec again. The window break light works every time.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
You need to check the harness connection at the rear brake lights for loose connection or wiring as well as check the wiring and connector at the brake light switch at top of brake pedal on the brake pedal bracket.
If all are good, likely a bad brake light switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that would have been my guess as well, but how do you explain as to why I need to shut engine down and start again for break lights to work for that 1 second? Also if it is break light switch, why my third brake light (one at the top of the back window) is working just fine, every-time breaks are engaged?
Regards, Evaldas
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, can you get me the 17 digit vin number and let look up the schematics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Sorry could not respond earlier. Car VIN YV13S592882686723. I haven't rated the answer as I don't have the answer I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, the answer is correct, but its more of common sense answer than anything else. My question gave the detail that window stop light was still working and back was't for longer than a second. And it would require to restart the car for it to work again for that same second. My hope was you could use your expertise and pinpoint the problem with greater precision. (I will rate and pay the money regardless, don't worry about that part, i committed my money and wont back out)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I going to replace the brakes switch to see if it helps. Sounds most logical, unless there is an electronics part somewhere, like relay that i don't know about.