sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2001 xc70 with 150,000 k miles. the transmission

Customer Question

good morning Eric ... i have a 2001 xc70 with 150,000 k miles. the transmission has been shifting poorly for several months ... yesterday a "Transmission Problem" message appeared in the message box. I checked online, and found this to be a common problem for some older volvos.
We Have A Solution That Eliminates The Need For This Costly Repair
Here is some reference information contained in a TSB regarding the Adaptive Transmission Procedure that the technicians employ.
A/T - AW55-50 Hard Shifts/Shift Flare
NO: 43-27
DATE: 1-22-2004
MODEL/YEAR:
MY 2001- S60, V70, V70 XC, XC90 2.5T
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is : do I need a new transmission? How can I best decide if the repair is worth making? I would prefer to keep the car for another 3-5 years; it's in great shape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone number: 856 - 371 - 0952
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The only way to know if a replacement trans or internal work will need to be done is to diagnose the problem. Hard shifting can be caused by a number of things including clutch damage, valve body issues, fluid degradation, and even software. If the warning comes on it's because the trans controller has seen a problem with a component or system and set a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what codes have set. Do you know what codes have set in the TCM?