CHEVYEATER351
CHEVYEATER351, Volvo Master
Experience:  Maintained a Volvo Master rating for 10 years. Expertise 1998-2008
76711631

My '88 volvo 240 drive an hour and a haft eachway the other

Customer Question

My '88 volvo 240 drive an hour and a haft eachway the other day, then next day no start, cranks hard- new fuel relay didn't help. Its getting spark to the plugs and we smell gas. We pulled out the fuel rail and injectors and all four are spraying hard and evenly. In fact, when we first pulled them out it was pointed somewhat into the holes and the car ran! We put them back in and no start again. Last fact- motor has been dieseling lately and the distributor cap points are alittle beat up, but I doubt that would keep it from running at all...please help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Crank engine over a few times, then pull the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel drips out of the vacuum hose, replace the fuel pressure regulator. It sounds like you are getting too much fuel
If ok, let me know and we will go from there
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that a few times an the regulator was dry each time. The bigger hose on the back side of the regulator looks old but it's intact.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, have you checked the actual fuel pressure. If not, we need to do that at this stage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not. Read about a node tester for that. I'll try to get one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, node is for injector pulse. I need a pressure test kit.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Correct, you will need a fuel pressure gage tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the auto parts stores are closed out here in the desert, but we found a working pressure regulator in a friend's car that matched perfectly, put it in but no dice..
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, do you have a friend with a noid light set. The injectors may be staying open and not pulsing on and off. The noid lights will show this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't. We are quite remote here. I have a multimeter though. Also, I had to replace the entire engine wiring harness a few weeks ago- the Volvo shop in Denver said there had been a previous engine fire. I pulled the harness from a junkyard and they put it in- but now that I think about it the exact same problem is happening now. Online and that shop said the injectors should have power in ON position, but they only have power when cranking...
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
They should only go on briefly when key turned to on position. I am not sure what else we can test without the noid lights. I will opt out and see if another expert has an idea on this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yo...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anybody out there?
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay. There is two things I can think of that you have not checked that could be you issue. 1 the wiring harness installed may have the knock sensor and the engine temp sensor swapped. I have done thins and it will cause a no start. Also there are two relays on the passenger side strut that are black. These are a system relay and a cooling fan relay. You can swap the relay as they are the same and see if the vehicle starts. The connectors I am talking about for the temp sensor and the knock sensor are under the intake but you should be able to reach them. I am not sure on your vehicle if these connectors can be swapped though due to the age. Make sure all the wiring is connected properly if any of the connectors are the same especially if they can be swapped. Make sure that the wiring harness is correct for the year as there are Regina and non Regina vehicles that have different harnesses. If this corrects your issue please give me a positive review.

If you are happy with the response please leave me positive feedback so that I will get credit for my time, thank you in advance.