internal88
internal88, Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working on Import and European vehicles for 15 years. Diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

My son, away at college, was told that repairing the air

Customer Question

Hello. My son, away at college, was told that repairing the air compressor on his 98 Volvo V70 will cost about $1000. Does a faulty air compressor affect the normal operation of the car's engine? He doesn't need air conditioning for the winter in Buffalo !
Category: Volvo
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon.

There is an AC compressor and Air injection pump in the car. Which device are you referring to?

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The Air condition compressor you don't need this unit to have the car run right.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The air injection pump is different, The purpose of the Air Injection System is to minimize hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions during cold starts, and to speed the heating of the Catalytic Converter. By supplying fresh air to the exhaust manifold when starting a cold engine, the AIR pump helps to afterburn unburned hydrocarbon. This makes it possible to increase injection time and retard ignition which give higher exhaust temperatures, speeding the activation of the converter.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Without the air injection pump the engine would not run right.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service. Thank you!

Let me know if you have further questions.