Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

1991 volvo 740 turbo...will start but only run a few

Customer Question

1991 volvo 740 turbo...will start but only run a few minutes. then it cuts out and wont start until I try it in a day or 2
I'm not an electrical kind of guy, purely mechanical
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the postioning sensor on the flywheel housing)which fixed the not wanting to start with the ignition. I replaced the fuel filter last november also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a 1991 Volvo 740 turbo SE with over 300,000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect and make sure the rpm or crank sensor connection and wiring is all o.k. I have seen in some cases where the wiring can become damaged and cause this fault here needing repaired or replaced.If this is all checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor. The car will start and run for approx. 2 min. then die and even though engine is turning over it wont restart.Ii've tried this approx 4 times with a day or more in between retrying
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the throttle body today, turns over does not start,still
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you have not had the fuel pressure tested when the vehicle will not start this should be done.I have seen weak fuel pumps/fuel pump failure cause this here needing replaced to correct this issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ii did nothing to the car since yesterday.I started it up this morning and it ran(idle) for 5 min., then shut off and would not restart right away,this is what it has been doing for the past month(that's how long it's been not running)
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if the pressure is low/weak when this occurs.If found low/weak the pump needs replaced.