Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

Have a 2004 XC70 A/C blower runs down battery after shut

Customer Question

Have a 2004 XC70 A/C blower runs down battery after shut off. Wanting to know if it is the Blower resistor or the Climite control module
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

I am a factory trained Volvo master tech i will be happy to assist you with your problem.

Do you have experience using a digital ohm multi meter?

Can the blower speed be adjusted?

Is this system manual temperature control, or automatic?

There is a 4 wire connector at the blower fan, measurements will need to be taken here to properly diagnose the concern.

Thank you

William

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a digital multi meter
-Not sure if the blower seed can be adjusted( I assume you mean when its running when it shouldn't?) but I will check.
-The system is automatic, just set the desired temp
-Am I looking for DC voltage on the 4pin connector when car is off?

I was asking if the blower fan speed changes when you manually adjust the speed with the controls.

The most likely failure is a blower fan speed module, aka blower motor power stage.

Check for voltage with the meter on direct current.

1. On the 4-wire connector at the blower fan, check the Blue wire for voltage. There will be a small voltage sent on that wire to activate the fan. If voltage goes away when the key is off the power stage is bad.

2. One could also remove that terminal from the connector. If the fan stays running, the power stage is bad.

3. If there is voltage on that wire or if the blower motor stops running when the wire is removed, fault trace the Climate Control Module (CCM). The CCM gets key on information from the Controller Area Network (CAN), but gets powered whenever the door is opened.

Tip:The fan power stage is located inside the blower motor assembly. Remove the blower fan to gain access.