Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

I have a 2000 volvo s80 2.9 lite engine north America I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 volvo s80 2.9 lite engine north America I picked the car up used from original owner car has 170,000 miles and us in excellent shape except fir cruise control being a little quirky coming our of cruise by itself and every now and then on the left side screen engine system service required comes up then goes away I plugged in my scanner and have no codes is there anyway to see what us going on and get a better message ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

What type of scan tool are you using? A high end scan tool is needed to read manufacture specific fault codes.

Most common cause for this vehicle is a failing electronic throttle body.

What color tag is on the throttle body? Yellow or white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the throttle body located in the center front of car attached directly underneath intake manifold ? It's the only part I see with a yellow tag
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is there a way to see the codes or system affected in that display window instead of the general message . I have a regular code reader that just picks up the obd codes it doesn't get deep into system I have access to a snapon and matco scanner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed my cruise control works sometimes then just cuts out, someone had told me it could be the brake pedal position sensor that is causing both the cruise control and engine message ptoblems

A defective brake pedal position sensor can cause cruise control faults but not normally affect how the engine runs.

That is the throttle module, good picture. A yellow tag is a good indication the module has been replaced.

Yellow tag modules have the more robust components installed but still can fail.

I would try the snap on and matco scanners this will give a better indication of the faults in the vehicle and read codes from other modules just not the ecm.

I found this link online for pulling codes, i am unsure if it actually gives the code number or just displays what modules have codes stored. i will look more into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0MtY1BLbjQ

Also if you are getting fault codes for the ETM electronic throttle module, used ones can be installed without having to reprogram the vehicle.

Just be sure to pick up a used module with a yellow tag if this is what you try.

Hello!

Just checking in. Have you had a chance to pull codes with the snap on scan tool yet?

I only strive for excellent service, please feel free to ask any other questions.

Please be aware i will be asking a series of questions to give you the best possible service i can.

Thanks

William Werner