Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I was driving on the ghway car was running well, went over a

Customer Question

I was driving on the highway car was running well, went over a dip on the highway but nothing seemed wrong so I continued, later in the evening as I exited the highway my Brake fluid light, came on and it read asap pull to safety etc,. then the ABS light came on; i drove 3 blocks and noticed the car felt sluggish , glanced at my gauge, and temp was normal, etc,. but i pulled into a driveway and the windshield wipers started going at full speed. I checked to make sure I hadn't turned them on accidentally, turn off the car and they still wouldn't stop. then the immobilzer check manual light came on. And the key would not get released from ignition nor turn the engine over. The top wouldn't come up,so I disconnected the battery cables for 10 minutes, then reconnected it upon which I was able ti disable the windshield wipers and get the key released from ignition. The radio came on and the headlights but there was no starting the car. called triple aaaand they couldnt get it started so its sitting in my driveway. Help!!!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

1st thing to try is charging the battery as this sounds like it may have failed to me, if it won't hold a charge then replace it

Also check the condition of the main battery connections, they should be tight and corrosion free

do the same for the main earth connection between the battery and the chassis / engine

and also check the state of the high power fuses in the underhood fusebox - again the contacts need to be bright and clean