Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Enes...I am having issues with my volvo and it could be 4 or

Customer Question

Hi Enes...I am having issues with my volvo and it could be 4 or 5 different reasons but I'm looking for someone that can replace each item with a used part to see if any of the 5 are the culprit.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm Original owner of my 1999 V70 with 300k miles and have an anomaly happening where I need the creative minds to help narrow down what part should I replace and in which order as every time I take it Volvo or to any other mechanic My Volvo doesn’t present herself with my issue. Frustrated but this car's engine runs excellently.Consistent problem I'm experiencing:
================================
-tachometer starts to drop immediately below 1000 rpm and starts to sputter and then engine goes limp including power especially when I am slowing down to turn or a stop light.
-Only the battery light and the check oil light and the Up Arrow light displays on the dashboard when car goes limp.
-75% of the time if the tachometer starts to act up, I can safely pull over to stop and put the car immediately in park and just gun it to try to run gas through the engine and then it idles normal to allow me to go my merry way.
-If the car goes limp it will start up 50% of the time with no problem or I have to gun the gas for a few seconds and then it drives normally afterwards. I don't have to wait but today I had to wait about 10 seconds to start again but have to gun it to make sure the tachometer is running smoothly to continue to drive.
-I get NO Volvo codes (courtesy of the last 2 years replacing of various vacuum hoses and other parts)
-I may be driving with my foot on the gas pedal driving on freeway at a constant speed or a city street at 40 mph and then sometimes it feels the engine doesn’t know that I’m giving it gas and may drop by 5 to 10 mph for about a few seconds and then it recognizes that I still have my foot on the pedal and returns back to that speed I was going. (I recall my first experience of this about 2 years ago but didn’t think anything of it until this year where it’s happening often. So I’m thinking whatever is happening this is the major symptom that may be the causing the go limp shut down of the car when I slow down.
-I may pull out of my garage and then I would see the tachometer starting to go under 1000 and a little shaking occurs as if the engine isn’t getting any gas thought I may be pressing on the gas pedal. I put it in park and press on the gas pedal for a few seconds then it idles happily.
Other days, it happens then when I get down 100 yards and decelerate to turn right and the car goes limp with power shutting off.I have replaced in the past 3 years:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Relay
Both O2 Sensors (May 2014)
Air Mass Sensor (Feb 2015)
Installed latest software in on board computers from Volvo (Aug 2015)
Replaced vacuum hose under manifold (3/2013)
Replaced many other hoses that contribute to Evaporator Leak error codes along with a few smoke test to smoke out any holes from 2013-late 2014.**Had a retired Volvo mechanic check who had the tool/computer to check if my electronic throttle module is the culprit. After checking he said the ETM is not the problem. He suspected the ignition switch may be the culprit but I had that changed in 2008.
***I talked to my former mechanic of 7 years from my former state and he suspects it is the Idle Air Control Valve.I even took it to the Volvo dealer and they see no codes and no symptomsSo Explain to me if it could be 1)Either 2 fuel relays 2)fuel pressure regulator (never replaced) and or ETM (never replaced) or something else I haven't considered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning when I started the car this morning, the tachometer started to be rough way and idle way under 1000 RPM. So I started it again and then just pressed on the gas peddle to rev up the RPM in park at about 20 mph for about 10 seconds. Then I let go of the peddle and it settled to its normal idle right under the 1000 RPM mark. Then I proceeded to drive out my garage and during my***** about 4 times during the drive at 40 mph it felt like it something was stopping the engine from getting gas for a few seconds and the tachometer starts to drop up and down and this is while I have my foot on the pedal. Then it would drive and sound normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goal: What test can be done for any part you suspect might be the culprit. I want to have a list of a few parts that may be the problem and what test can be done to those parts while I have them in the car? My old mechanic recommends I go and buy used parts and test it out versus buy new. I have already replaced some items and I don't mind buying new the part is the problem but I don't want to buy new and keep trying each new part. I'm looking for creativity troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I signed up (maybe it was in the 2000 word fine print) but after I entered my credit card info now I find out it could be within a day of getting a response. Or maybe 10 mins. Not happy about that as in bold print it says be ready to speak with someone who is online right now that is a Volvo master technician. Should I sit hear for the next 23 hours?I need to make a decision on my next steps before 7am PT and this is the reason I decided to try this out to at least speak to someone.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

hi

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

most the time is 24 hour to reply

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

but im online now i help from what you describe it sounds like bad throttle etm . i would run first scanner see if you get any fault codes error codes and fix those first if no codes than it looks you have bad throttle etm ? did you ever replace etm they need to be replace 4-5 years they fail veryfast

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Enes.....I had a former senior volvo technician check the ETM and he said it wasn't the problem and there are no codes firing back as well.
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

but what you describe is sund like etm accting up

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

what did they come as far testing if is not etm ? when was etm checked ? what color sticker is on etm ?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

are you online?

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

you can try remove cleaning throttle but most the it can help cleaning but if is old etm it wil not help you will need a new one

Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

reply when you can back to me