Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I keep getting random messages, like my gas tank lid is

Customer Question

I keep getting random messages, like my gas tank lid is loose or open when it isn't, and the check engine light comes on and goes off. Also sometime I can't get my key to work. We found if we open the hood and shut it, then the key works, I think something is going on with a sensor, what do you think ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The gas cap message as well as the check engine light is due to an EVAP (fuel tank emissions leak) causing this fault here.In most cases it is because the fuel cap was left loose and this is why this message is displayed but if your cap is the correct cap and is installed correctly this indicates there is another component leaking fuel tank vapors.In this case the fuel tank vapor system will need to be tested with special equipment to locate the source of the leak then repaired from there to correct the message and check engine light issue.

The other issue with the key not working with you being able to close the hood to jar the system to work properly sounds like either an internal electrical fault in the electronic ignition switch itself or an issue with a loose or corroded power or ground connection.I would have the power and ground connections checked to see if any connections are loose or corroded as well as the electronic ignition switch tested for any issues.

Thanks Pete