Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have an oil light at idle...i have no smoke, the glove and

Customer Question

I have an oil light at idle...i have no smoke, the glove and dipstick test check out. I do see some build up on the cams so could it be sludge? This would be my 2nd oil change since buying this 01 v70 2.4t. It has 156k on the dial.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** very well could be sludge, and usually an oil change does not get it all out, have you had the engine flushed yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no flush, would that bea product i can buy and do myself?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
we use a product called BG engine flush, it comes in 3 parts, 1bottle of engne flush chemicals, and 2 small cans of BG MOA, which is an additive to keep the bearings protected when flushing it, you add the big bottle of engine flush and one can of the MOA, drain abiut a quart of oil out of it, and add these 2, then run the engine for about 20 minutes, then drain it and replace the filter and fill with oil, then add the second can of MOA, this will clean out all the passages, if you still get the light on, then you will have run a manual pressure test onit, but sludge can definately cause this,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you direct me on where to buy it? Cant seem to find it, thanks.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
we get it at NAPA or CARQUEST, do you have either of these in your town?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i 1st drain 1 quart, then add engine purge and one moa. Let it run for 29 mins then do an oil change and add moa number 2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the names of the two moa chemicals?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
that is correct, and the name of the engine flush is BG engine purge, and the name of the 2 small cans is BG MOA
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

If ou need more helpwith this, then dont hesitate to ask, if not, then please dont forget to rate me, it is the only way I get paid for helping,Thanks in advance,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the engine purge the way you describe the oil light went off for a week then I came back what do you think is the next step what might be wrong?