Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2010 Volvo xc90 and my door chime driver's side

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Volvo xc90 and my door chime for my driver's side door won't turn off even when the door is closed and I am driving. Originally, my husband found a broken wire in the wire harness located in the door jamb and fixed it and it stopped but has since come back and the wire is not broken now. any suggestions? I would like to just unplug the door chime. Can you tell me where it is located?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

The chime shows to built in to the circuit board on the CEM central electronics module under the left side of the dash.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I open the CEM up and disconnect the door chime?

I have no instructions to damage a safety feature, though its your car and you could go into it and break the solder joints on the circuit board if you choose to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think that fooling with the CEM is going to be an option for my husband. Do you have any suggestions? I wanted to replace the wiring harness that comes out of the kick panel through the door jamb of the drivers door because that is where we found the wire originally broken but I cannot find any wiring harness listed as a part for the door jamb. It appears that it's the connector part of that bc when my husband spliced the wire and repaired it and put it back into the connector, it doesn't fit as well now, therefore it doesn't seem to always be making a connection. For a while it would only go off if I hit bumps but then would stop. Now it just won't go off unless I take the keys out of the ignition. Thanks again for your help and any advice you can give

Since the connector is loose, that can be the cause. A loose connection causes open circuits which can trick the modules on the car for example thinking a door is open when its not. You need to see if this connector is damaged and the harness or pigtail needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the harness or pigtail listed under as far as getting the part to fix it with? I have googled door harness but all that comes up is the wiring that goes inside the drivers door, not the wiring in the door jamb. Also what is the pigtail and how would that part be listed?

Your only going to be able to get these parts from a Volvo dealer, no one makes them aftermarket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've actually gotten a part from them for something else. Once again what is the name of the part or what is the part called that we discussed previously so my husband could install it himself?

The name of the wire harness is called a wire harness. The name of the connector pigtail is called a pigtail. When you go to the dealer and tell them the area your having the concern at (door jam) they can order the parts with those terminolgies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for all of your help. I apologize if I seem to be redundant or just plain dense:) one more question to clarify please: the area in the door jamb that I am referring to is a set of wires encased in a rubber boot with a black connector to the left where the wires attach. The wires then run to the right into the pillar of the vehicle. Is there a part number that I can reference for this?

Sorry I do not have part numbers with my tech login, just repair information. A parts login at the dealer is needed for part numbers.