sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 with a standard automatic

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 with a standard automatic transmission. I've cycled through all the gears and other than Park, Reverse is the only gear that engages. Could it be the linkages or possibly too much transmission fluid causing the problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the shifter feels normal and physically goes into each gear position correctly but the transmission does not engage then it isn't going to be a linkage problem. If you're unable to get it past reverse though, there is play when moving the shifter, it doesn't go to manual first, etc then you have a linkage issue.
It sounds as if the shifter moves correctly but the trans doesn't engage into a forward gear. The fluid being too high shouldn't be a concern but if it was very low it could prevent engagement or cause damage. If the fluid level hasn't been checked that should be the next step.
If the fluid level and linkage are good then the problem is either hydraulic or mechanical failure in the transmission.