Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Keyfob stopped working, then key stopped unlocking doors.

Customer Question

Keyfob stopped working, then key stopped unlocking doors. Replaced Alarm module behind front passenger wheel well, now they inside unlock button doesn't work and the trunk release handle doesn't work.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have not inspected to see if there are any shorted or damaged fuses this will need to be done.If a fuse is found blown or missing it will need replaced.
If all fuses are found o.k. this sounds to be a fault with an electronic control unit/ecu in your vehicle.If you can I would have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicates with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked and found no blown fuses and had it scanned and found no error codes. The problem persists. I found that the sunroof stopped working too, though it worked fine a few weeks prior to all of these door lock issues.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When you had it scanned for fault codes were all computers checked for codes? As some basic code readers/scan tools will only read engine and transmission codes.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a generic ready from atozone. Which kind will check all of the codes?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,usually this one will only read engine and transmission codes and in some cases anti lock brake codes.The one needed is usually a specialty scan tool that is designed to read all computers.Most shops and dealers have this tool as they can be expensive to purchase.If there is any way to get these codes re checked with one of these scan tools this will help.If not or if you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to a vida dice scanner?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I believe that is what it is called or the VeDis scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered a scan tool, it should be here this week.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,let me know if any codes come up here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, vida scan reports no error codes currently (i erased all the ones in memory and no new ones have popped back up). Interior cabin lights, sunroof, trunk latch, and interior door lock function has been restored. The only thing missing is the remote does not function and the outside door lock doesn't function.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you had the key less entry reprogrammed at all to see if this corrects the lock issue now?

Let me know,thanks Pete.