Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Enes, How do I determine the correct location "crowned"

Customer Question

Enes, How do I determine the correct location for the "crowned" nut (item #13) in the exploded view of the "Angle Gear" unit? I have no marks etc. to go by. Customer
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if you've already removed the nut. The proper way to do that job is to first measure the depth from the flat part of the angle gear case to the low part of the nut. Then when re-assembling, set it to the same depth. There is no specification because they are all set individually at the factory.

However, I have rebuilt many of those units and I have never been able to tighten it past the original depth with any ease. When going back together, when it is hard to turn anymore by hand, I usually have to use a ratchet with the special tool and tighten it pretty tight before it reaches the original depth. If you do it the same way, you should have no problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Andy, I have put the "Crowned Nut" (CN) in and hand tightened it in the case. It runs and sounds OK until I run over a small bump in the road. Then, I get a laoud "thump" that seems to be located right under my seat. This is the case with light and heavy "pre-load" on the bearing that sits just inside the case (RH side). I have done nothing to the driver's side of the transmission. I suspect something didn't line up right when I put the RH axel in. It went in easily. There does not appear to be any binding going on. This is CRAZY! Please get back to me. It's 0530 hrs here. When (My Time is RM DST) would be a best time to call you on the telephone?
Nolan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, RSVP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Andy, Andy, Andy. I need the correct answer to my problem. Clearly, just hand tightening the CN doesn't solve my problem. Clearly hand tightening isn't the answer. Please give me the data I need.
Nolan.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Nolan,

Please understand that this is not a full time job for us. I check the question list as I have time but I do work full time. This is just something in my spare time, so I cannot always respond immediately.

What are you using to tighten the nut? Are you using the special tool? If not, then you are correct... Hand right is not right enough. What I mentioned was hand tight and then using the special tool to fully tighten it.

If the axle is fully seated, then it is in correctly.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I see you have viewed the information but have not indicated a need for further assistance. Did you have any other questions? If not, please remember to select a rating at the upper right so that I may be credited. Thank you.