FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

2006 Volvo xc90 with the v8. Had problems with the car just

Customer Question

2006 Volvo xc90 with the v8. Had problems with the car just stalling. Took to the dealer, told me the transmission software needed updating. Still stalling, then said they would replace the ECM. Then when ECM was replaced they told me the TCM was faulty and was showing the car had a rpm of 7000 when it was off, so now it wont start. Now they want 1600 for a TCM but cant guarantee that will solve the stalling problem???
Category: Volvo
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. You definitely need to contact the dealership general manager regarding this as you should not have to pay for anything that did not fix this. It sounds to me like an engine speed sensor or a fuel system issue. I have seen some circuit problems with areas such as the fuel relay that will cause this. I would hope that they have looked into this. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm pretty decent around cars but do not know much about these Volvo's and all of their Computer modules. They did a TCM software update and said that was successful, then after putting in the new ECM that supposedly triggered a fault for the TCM. To me besides needing the software update the TCM was fine when I brought it in. Now they want $1600 to replace something that won't guarantee to fix the original problem it was brought in for. Instead of guessing a shop should try these different parts, if it fixes the problem I'd be happy to pay for it. Throwing thousand dollar parts at this expensive vehicle and not guaranteeing a fix doesn't seem like common practice. Just looking for another opinion from someone who knows these cars
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I definitely agree. They should be able to find the issue before telling you what the vehicle needs. As I mentioned, I see more crank sensor and fuel system issues on this car than TCM's causing stalling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a bad ECM cause the TCM to go bad. Originally told the TCM needed a software update when brought in. Then was told the TCM software update was good and the TCM was fine. But they were replacing the ECM. After new ECM replaced, TCM is now showing a fault. I know these are computers, so can a spike like the engine just shutting off, or a bad ECM cause the TCM to go out?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

During the programming this would not happen. Now if the battery was disconnected or if the modules were improperly handled this could occur.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think something that's taking the cars power all of a sudden could cause some damage to these modules cause the TCM was fine when they initially looked at it and performed the software update
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

This does sound strange. They should have noticed if there was a TCM issue when they tried programming it. Not after.