Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

1988 Volvo 240 no spark. replaced sensor ,coil and ignition

Customer Question

1988 Volvo 240 no spark. replaced hall sensor ,coil and ignition ECU-problem persists. Has power and ground per service manual tests. All connections OK- unable to find fault-ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are having with the no spark condition can be caused by any of the following,
Engine Wiring Harness
Hall Effect Switch
Ignition Coil
Missing Ignition Control Module (ICM) Ground
Ignition Control Unit
Missing Power — Power missing at the ignition control unit.
In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20244%20Aug%2018.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your suggestions-still no joy. power to the coil-no pulse on the negative side of coil.
checking connections at ECU; B+ at terminal 2 and 3 OK. Ground at 9and 10 OK. Terminal 5 has voltage but no pulse while cranking.
at the hall effect sensor, jumpering terminal B&C and releasing produces NO spark ( I have previously replaced the Hall sensor with a new one anyway)
The Ignition control module has been replaced with a rebuilt unit-all diagnostics point to this, the new unit produced no joy and I subsequently tried another used unit no joy.
My question is regarding Part Numbers. the original unit is P/N1346107. This is what Ii ordered and received P/N(###) ###-####which did not solve my problem. I bought another unit from the wrecking yard from another 1988 with a P/N(###) ###-#### ***** these units truly interchangeable, or do I have a compatibility problem? thanks, jd
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately i do not have access to an interchange Manuel and or a parts list so I can not say for sure they are interchangeable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I verified from the folks at eEuroparts where I purchased the rebuilt unit that the parts are indeed interchangeable. I am NOT getting a pulse to ground at the negative side of the coil. No spark when terminal B&C are jumpered and released at the Hall sensor. Terminal 5 has voltage when I crank, but does not fluctuate-is there more I'm missing?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

With all the parts you have already replaced I would suspect you may have a wiring concern.