Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
9261905

My check engine light came on I took it to pep boys to have

Customer Question

My check engine light came on I took it to pep boys to have them run it for codes. They said the codes that popped up were for my MAF, O2 sensor and emissions. The car does not have the response it normally does, also has a more throaty sound when i try to accelerate, pretty sluggish response time, and also stalls when I decelerate and try accelarate I.e. Pulling into parking lots.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what were the code numbers??? codes never identify bad parts just failed systems. we can narrow down the failure with the actual codes

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached the sheet.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

wow, you have a lot of codes set,

the first thing I would do is to clear these codes and drive the car. see what code returns first that will be the primry code to check first.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I clear the codes?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

you can either have pepboys do it for you or you can remove a battery cable for 10 minutes. when the light returns you will have to get the codes read again.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went ahead replaced the MAF. They told me they could not reset the codes. I took the battery lead off and P2420/P2401/P0075/P0458/P0100
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** it appears the previous expert has opted out of this question..
Are you still getting the engine fault light on? or not ?
Too - any engine running troubles?
Rgds, MIKE........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still having problems. Car runs but when I slow down to a very slow speed it stalls out. I have already replaced the MAF.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

HI there-

Ok - do you still get the EML / engine fault light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't even make it 50ft before it came back on. I took the battery leads off when I was changing the sensor.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok - in that case you do have relevant fault codes - one or more is causing this of what you have there - When they were read - did they tell what the codes were for / meant? They should have done.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just left it at a mechanics shop. Thinking it might be bad wiring or incorrect voltage.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

HI again..

Okay - I have checked these codes through and they are all emission system related.

The first thing to check is the condition of your gas cap... check its tight - seals tight when closed. Check the seal - any issues there will cause this..

Now - if its not that - then the next thing to do with this is to speak with your local Volvo dealer - this is because these issues fall under what is usually a software issue that crops up in the Ecu - engine management computer and gives all these fault codes. The only way to fix that is to have a Volvo dealer do a software update for you on the Ecu... This is done free normally -as Volvo are aware of this issue and gave an extended to 10 year warranty on the problem.

So - thats your next steps on this one... Check that gas cap first... If its not that - do as above as your next step.. you cannot even hope to cure any other issues before knowing that the Ecu software is sorted and correct - though hopefully, thats all it will need to cure it for you.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..

Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -

- Best Rgds, MIKE.