Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I was wondering if there can be damage done to a volvo S40

Customer Question

I was wondering if there can be damage done to a volvo S40 if you start the car without your foot on the brake pedal? The engine doesn't turn over and it says Brake Failure Stop Safetly.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

You cannot damage anything by starting the car with your foot off the pedal. Have you tried a jump start? A low battery will cause all sorts of lights and warning messages to come on due to low voltage in the network

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, the battery seems to still be working, all the lights come on and the dash board lights up and the radio works. So, if I was starting the car without my foot on the brake, the message about the brakes that I wrote earlier would not appear.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

The vehicle is not cranking, correct?