Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Codes P0011 and P0121 Which should I attempt first

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are times I can drive it fine but sometimes it goes into limp mode. When I moved the wires around TB it helped end but not all the time.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Well you have two different issues. The p0121 is going to be your throttle position sensor fault and that's why wiggling the wires changes things. It's seems you have a poor connection at the sensor at the throttle body. As for the p0011 that is for a camshaft solenoid. Those are very common. If you google 1999 Volvo S80 camshaft solenoid you will find what it looks like and how it operates. Your issues are very easily solved. And again are two separate issues. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I able to correctly tighten the connection at the TB? I have taken it off but it seems like it is a sealed connection.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Well what you want to look at are the pins inside of the connector that plugs into the sensor. If wiggling the wire affects it then it will be poor pin contact or corrosion on the pins. You may need to purchase a new connector with pins. Most parts stores sell these kits.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
your sensor should be a square sensor that unbolt a from the throttle body. It is common for the sensor to fail but if that was the case wiggling wires would not affect anything. Also in rare cases the wires can bend and break inside the wiring insulation. So what you do to test is unplug the sensor. Grab the connector with one hand and with the other gently pull on each wire about 3 inches from the connector. Give each wire a good tug and see if the wiring pulls apart. Wires can be pulled pretty good before they break so don't worry about a little tugging. If any wire comes apart or pulls more than the rest that wire can be the issue. Hope this information helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see two screws on the bottom of the TB when I take the screws out it seems like it is sealed to the TB and I cannot open connector to see inside. Thoughts?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

I see four screws , not sure if we are on the same page can you upload a photo ?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Here's what I find , is this what yours looks like ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both of those on the side of the TB. I tried getting them off and it seems like it is stuck. I was referring to the bottom of the TB where all the wires enter. Would I need to remove the two on the side?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

It's one of them on the side. I don't know which one exactly. Which one did you wiggle wires to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wires on the bottom of th TB. There are no wires on either side
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok is the sensor on the bottom also round ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Similar to "SEE PIC"
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok no that's the accelerator main plug. It's the side guys with the 4 screws. It's the one with a electrical plug. I don't think they both have plugs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just looked and neither side has plugs coming from it it only comes from the bottom front
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out. My apologies. I don't want to waste your time.