Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2006 xc90. It cut off on us at ta stop light while

Customer Question

I have a 2006 xc90. It cut off on us at ta stop light while running the ac. It tried to turn over a few times after it died but very slowly and then nothing...just a click, all the lights go out and thats it. The tow truck tried to jump the batter but we got the same results..just a click, lights go out and nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive replaced the battery, starter and checked all fuses, grounds and made sure the engine isnt locked up and all the pulleys spin freely. The two power wires that connect to the starter solenoid, only one of them has 12v, the other has 0v. Is that normal?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this can be a fault with the power cable itself leading off of the battery,starter or alternator.I would have these cables checked to see if there is any damage or corrosion at all and if a fault is found the affected cable will need replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tested the power leads to the starter. I have also powered the starter independantly to rule out bad ground and or insufficiant power from the battery terminal. I have also replaced the starter relay. Can it be the ECM? If so, would the starter even attempt to turn?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If this is the ECM at fault this may disable the starter all together.One other common issue that will cause this here is the electronic ignition switch itself.If you can I would have this switch tested to see if this is the cause here for sure and replaced if needed.The ECM is a possibility but not as common as the electronic ignition switch.
Thanks Pete